During times of trouble I am always telling people to stay positive. To count their blessings no matter what. To remember, it could've been worse. There is a reason for everything that happens to us. I have often told people going through tough patches to take a pen and paper and write down ten things that could be worse than their problem. When you get to ten, you often find that more comes to mind than the ten you've jotted down. Eventually you realise that you can cope. You can overcome whatever you have to.
But then comes the day that I have to apply my own words! Not easy...no. Easier said than done. When I really hurt a lot, I become quiet. I cannot communicate. I feel like a huge, numb stone filled with pain and anger...helpless, useless, furious to the point that I feel I'm going to explode!!!
For those of you who are not familiar with living in South Africa, we live a daily life of anticipation. When will it it be my turn? To be attacked, robbed, raped, killed...Sounds harsh doesn't it? It is reality. Yet most of us have a positive outlook and love our country with a passion. We still live a life of quality and happiness. We appreciate the simple pleasures. I have always refused to live in fear, but I do keep the outside doors locked at all times, ever vigilant, day and night if possible.
So, early yesterday morning when my doorbell rang and I heard my husband calling, I was annoyed. Why doesn't he just open the garage door with the remote and drive in? The answer: He couldn't. Car stolen in broad daylight outside the local Gym in the parking area of a well known shopping centre. Gone. Just like that! Taken by relentless, disrespectful ******** who don't give a damn that some people actually work hard to earn a living!
After my initial furious tears, sadness and anger (which have not subsided yet) I realized I have to look at the bright side of it. We weren't hijacked. No one was attacked or injured. No one died. The house wasn't burgled. No one was raped. We are alive! We lost a car. That's all. A fact of life. How are we going to replace it with something of a similar quality? No idea! Don't know what the Insurance people are going to do. In the meantime I have to adapt, ask favors, beg lifts and I hate that. Thankful for help but it's very inconvenient! It was a simple, modest little car and I really, really miss it! On Friday afternoon I still thought to myself how privileged I was to have a car like that. On Sunday our car was gone.
We are not wealthy, not poor either, but there's no spare money for luxuries. We really cannot afford setbacks. The washing machine is going by grace. Fans are broken and it's summer. The microwave also broke on Sunday. I need new glasses and have a broken tooth that needs fixing, no medical aid. But I will rejoice! It could've been far worse!! The wheel turns. The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not want.
Here's sharing some of my beautiful blessings...


No comments:
Post a Comment
Thank you for your comment!