"The winds of change" is a phrase I picked up through a song by legendary British composer/musician Mike Batt from his album Waves in 1980.
It is an apt description of the way life has treated the human race through the millenia since the beginning of time. When people were roaming the earth since time immemorial, the changes of the seasons and the weather influenced and dictated the quality of their daily lives.
In today's times, where most of us have to make a living by working very hard in order to have a roof over our heads, children in schools, food for all, not to even mention the luxuries of a holiday, pamper treatments, restaurants, we do what we can in order to be able to earn the necessary monetary remuneration.
Our family have been self employed for almost 30 years to make ends meet and to fulfil our personal needs and raise our children. During these years I called every big change or new direction and challenges we faced "The winds of change." I experience the apdation to a new business, new job, moving to a new home as a wind that uproots me and moves me into the right direction. I also see it as God's way of prompting me into changes that I fear, or chances I am too scared to take.
And so it happened: In 2013 we had to leave our home where we lived for 23 years and where we raised our children, to move into a smaller, more economic space. Moving home is regarded by phsychologists as one of the most traumatic changes in a person's life, comparing to losing a loved one, losing a job etc. When my husband first mentioned that "It's time to move on" I was horrified, shocked and traumatised. In my heart of hearts I knew he was right, but I was not ready for the big step. Every time he mentioned it I just about shrunk, shuddered and shook! I could not contemplate or visualise myself living anywhere else except in our much loved old house. Slowly but surely I had to make the head shift that was needed to expand my horizons. One of the reasons I was reluctant to move, was that my dear husband wanted us to move into the old
Woodnewz workshop at the bottom of our garden. It was only a shell with four sturdy walls and a roof. While he and his team still worked, restored and created furniture there, it was noisy, dirty, extremely dusty and not at all resembling a home. Of course he planned on fixing it, redesigning it and turn it into a liveable home, but I was not convinced. The winds of change were blowing me into a direction I was fighting against with all my might!

This space was not what I had in mind for a future home...
But on the bright side...every cloud has a silver lining.
And there was a wild, beautiful garden...
And a lovely sea view...
I knew it was time to think positive and make that head shift. Maybe the winds of change were blowing me in the right direction after all.
I am also getting my head around the fact that we will have to move from our family home in the near future. It's not easy, but I have found your story and the process you went through encouraging!
ReplyDeleteThank you for you comment, Denise. I am still writing some more on this subject, as it was a life changing event and so many things happened during the process. So, the next episode will follow soon. Take care.
ReplyDelete