During this time of intense frustrations and stress taking place during our small undertaking of turning the old Woodnewz Workshop into a home, I realised with a shock that I have become so stressed and worn out that I started forgetting about the good things and blessings of everyday life. All I am thinking about is the buildingbuildingbuilding, the builder giving us enormous grief, the work that's behind schedule and my head that's turned into a maelstrom of anger and stress. The "small undertaking" has turned into a huge headache and sleepless nights!
So...time for a little E S C A P E. This morning as I was updating myself on happenings and goings on, my eye fell on the writings and musings of the lovely young Keri Bainborough from Midlandsmusings.com writing joyfully about her life in the beautiful Midlands of Kwazulu Natal. A bell rang in my fuzzy brain and I started a little trail down memory lane....
I always find that it's a balsam for my soul when I browse through photographs of happy times spent in happy places. Keri's passion for her Midlands reminded me that we as a family also love meandering and have often spent time there for special occassions or just meandering for fun. Where are the days when we went to Granny Mouse, Rawdons, La Lampara, stopping everywhere and shopping up a storm since there are so many enticing goodies to buy along the way. Nature is smiling around every corner with rolling hills, tall trees, bubbling streams and golden grasses waving by the roadside en route to the next little paradise winking on the horison.
My mind wandered back to a very special weekend in August 2010 when my husband swept me away to Calderwood Hall for the weekend after a stint in ICU during April and a long recovery afterwards. Calderwood Hall is a stately old Edwardian homestead situated in Boston, near Underberg in the Southern foothills of the Drakensberg. We were blown away by the olde world splendour and beauty, just the place for a tired soul.
We were lucky enough to end up in the Bridal Suite for the price of a bungalow/rondavel. The house was empty that weekend, except for one other room that was occupied. The staff thought it wise to treat us VIP style! I imagined that's my home and I'm the lady of the manor. Having dinner for two in front of a toasty fireplace with a good bottle of wine is something I will always cherish. Exploring my surroundings in a happy place is always first on my to do list and I wasn't disappointed. From the gardens, the livestock, chapel and various nooks and crannies inside the house, I just couldn't get enough of the charming beauty of Calderwood Hall.
The bridal suite awaits us! Later on while wandering the grounds I discovered the chapel. To my utter delight and joy I discovered an old Hammond organ in the Chapel which reminded me of my early band days as a musician, where the "real Mcoy" was used, no computerised substitute. Of course I had to play the piano in the parlour before we enjoyed a candlelit dinner for two by the fireside.
Calderwood Hall is a splendid wedding venue with a blessed little Chapel and grand reception area as well as beautiful themed bedrooms and outside accommodation for wedding guests to enjoy an unforgettable experience. I am longing to go back there for another visit, or even just to go meandering.
We were lucky enough to end up in the Bridal Suite for the price of a bungalow/rondavel. The house was empty that weekend, except for one other room that was occupied. The staff thought it wise to treat us VIP style! I imagined that's my home and I'm the lady of the manor. Having dinner for two in front of a toasty fireplace with a good bottle of wine is something I will always cherish. Exploring my surroundings in a happy place is always first on my to do list and I wasn't disappointed. From the gardens, the livestock, chapel and various nooks and crannies inside the house, I just couldn't get enough of the charming beauty of Calderwood Hall.
The bridal suite awaits us! Later on while wandering the grounds I discovered the chapel. To my utter delight and joy I discovered an old Hammond organ in the Chapel which reminded me of my early band days as a musician, where the "real Mcoy" was used, no computerised substitute. Of course I had to play the piano in the parlour before we enjoyed a candlelit dinner for two by the fireside.
Calderwood Hall is a splendid wedding venue with a blessed little Chapel and grand reception area as well as beautiful themed bedrooms and outside accommodation for wedding guests to enjoy an unforgettable experience. I am longing to go back there for another visit, or even just to go meandering.

Lovely to see your beautiful blog Ellen! I have yet to have the privilege of staying at Calderwood, but it looks like it needs to go on my list!
ReplyDeleteAll the best with building. I am sure it's going to work out well in the end. Look forward to seeing how it turns out :-)
Thank you Denise! Calderwood is worth a visit if you need to come to a standstill. Very soothing. This blogpost was done in July. We are now in September and it's not over yet, still not finished. I cannot tell you how we feel by now! Will keep you posted.
ReplyDelete