We are all subjected to changes in our lives, shortterm or longterm. The way we relate to change is super important to the outcome, for attitude is everything, especially if it influences your future. Mentally I have been kicking and screaming like a small kid throwing a tantrum because I was retrenched from a job I loved and because I have to move house. A year ago I blogged about how happy I was working at Fat Tuesday in Kloof, as it was prayers answered and I really needed some extra income. I was ecstatic to work in lovely surroundings and most of the time, good circumstances. But life had other plans and I have finally accepted my fate. I kept telling myself "everything happens for a reason" and "when one door closes, another one opens" but it was damn hard to make my peace with this big change. It's very important to remember it could have been worse. I needed to start seeing the reasons for change by a Higher hand and start welcoming them.
You have to make a firm decision that you will accept the things you can't change and then count your blessings. When my husband started his discussions about renting out our house and moving down the driveway to a smaller dwelling I was livid...for months. I just didn't tell everyone I was angry. I couldn't bear the thought of leaving our home of 23 years to downsize at our age. That's for Grannies and Grandpas on their way to the old age home, not me! It is quite an undertaking to halve the contents of your home when you are not ready to do so.
Well, after we started planning and designing the interior layout of our new home (formerly the Woodnewz Workshop) I started getting really excited at the prospect of decorating a brand new home, even if it's small.
I realised it's a privilege to be able to choose which things are going and which things to keep. I am not a sickly little Granny who has to watch from the sidelines how other people are getting rid of her treasures because there's an emergency.
I also realised how much rubbish I never got rid of...oh dear, the honest truth hit home. Taking stock is a good thing. Throwing out stuff and giving away things that others can use is a good thing. Cleaning out makes me feel good, great actually...so if you change your attitude about changes in your life, it's a great thing! I finally look forward to moving into our new home. As for extra income, I have great plans, after I finished moving.



Such an honest and frank blog Ellen .Not many would share their thoughts and feelings the way you have So many lessons learnt .I think we need to stop asking why and reflect on what we have learnt from an unhappy or sad experience.Life is full of challenges we will never find a path withoutups and downs .
ReplyDeleteThank you for taking the time to read and comment. We are never to old to learn life's lessons.
ReplyDelete